Saturday, March 1, 2014

The Importance of Media in My Life

Movies have always been a big part of my life; even as a child, family time consisted of sitting around the TV and watching Friday the 13th: The Series, Married With Children, or which ever program happened to be going on at the time... As I grew older movies gradually became a way of recalling certain periods during my childhood. Music has the same effect on the majority of the people I know, it may bring them back to a certain memory or event they had experienced or remind them of a certain period during their lives.
Film has always had this effect on me. I could literally walk through isles at the local video shop, point at a title and state what was going on in my life while that movie was in theater. Films have also been a great coping mechanism for me. Movies like 'Closer' or 'Moulin Rogue' have helped me get through heartaches and potential breakups. Sometimes a person needs time away from others in order to heal, but the emotional support these stories provided, prevented me from being completely alone. Its this aspect of communication which interests me most about cinema. The fact that a filmmaker can tell a story and may potentially touch the life of someone they have never met. To me, a movie is more than something to sit and watch while trying to till time.
Film throughout my life has served as a means to connect with others, whether trying to strike up conversation or make new friends; being provided with something to think about or give emotional support whether dealing with sadness, grief, or joy. Film and media in general in a very large part of everyone's life whether or not they may realize it. The film score is just as import as the film as it really helps to set the mood and may further enhance the emotional experience of the production. The film score for 'Candyman' for example is one of the most excellent film scores that I have ever heard and really makes the movie and can really illicit an emotional response. Music, film, and memories truly are a perfect union. 
My time on this site has been brief and I have already quickly familiarized myself with the majority of the sites functions. I am no stranger to social and blog sites though. The majority of my early post was done via Live Journal, and later Blogger, Word Press, Twitter, and Facebook. I am looking forward to a long and successful term posting on this site as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment